January 02, 2016

Sophia Loren Quotes


                                                                   



A two-time Oscar winner and an indisputable beauty, she is probably the only person who has starred in her own bio-pics, playing herself, and later her mother.

More about her biography and filmography is here.

I think I have seen them all!

[....]
Sophia remained a bona fide international movie star throughout the sixties and seventies, making films on both sides of the Atlantic, and starring opposite such leading men as Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, Gregory Peck, and Charlton Heston.

Her American films included El Cid (1961), The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964), Arabesque (1966), Man of La Mancha (1972), and The Cassandra Crossing (1976). She gained a wider respect with her Italian films, especially Marriage Italian Style (1964) and A Special Day (1977). During these years she received a second Oscar nomination and won five Golden Globe Awards.
[....]

                                                                 

                                                                   
                                                                  


I've never tried to block out the memories of the past, even though some are painful. I don't understand people who hide from their past. Everything you live through helps to make you the person you are now.

I was born wise. Street-wise, people-wise, self-wise. This wisdom was my birthright. I was also born old. And illegitimate. But the two big advantages I had at birth were to have been born wise and to have been born in poverty.

I was not intrigued with the accouterments of success and fame, the furs, jewels, expensive automobiles and mansions... I can assure you that these things were not on my mind when I sat spellbound in that Pozzuoli movie house. It was what these performers on the screen were doing, not what they received for doing it.

I was blessed with a sense of my own destiny. I have never sold myself short. I have never judged myself by other people’s standards. I have always expected a great deal of myself, and if I fail, I fail myself. So failure or reversal does not bring out resentment in me because I cannot blame others for any misfortune that befalls me.

My philosophy is that it's better to explore life and make mistakes than to play it safe and not to explore at all.

A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.

Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical.

Sex appeal is fifty percent what you've got and fifty percent what people think you've got.

Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful.

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of the people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will have truly defeated age.

Being beautiful can never hurt, but you have to have more. You have to sparkle, you have to be fun, you have to make your brain work if you have one.

After all these years, I am still involved in the process of self-discovery. It's better to explore life and make mistakes than to play it safe. Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life. 
With many thanks to Wikiquote
Top picture credit:Beauty Bombshells
                                                                        
                                                                      

                                                      

                                                      

                                                       

Sophia inside her Roman Villa with thanks to Messy Nessy Chic